20 July 2012

Justice League: Doom


In my recent quest to get caught up on all the DC Universe Animated Original Movies, I sat down last night with The Kid and watched Justice League: Doom. Right from the start, I had high hopes. I love it when they get Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly to voice Batman and Superman. They did the voices originally for their respective animated series; therefore, I associate them with the characters. Plus, it has Bane. I am a sucker for Bane. Well, except for Batman & Robin. I try to forget that version of Bane. And Batman. Well, the whole movie in general.

Justice League: Doom has one of the more creative story lines, loosely based on an arc from mid-2000. The story centers on Vandal Savage (Phil Morris) hiring six super villains to dispense of the six members of the Justice League. Batman fights Bane (Carlos Alazraqui). Green Lantern (Nathan Fillion) battles Star Sapphire (Olivia d’Abo). Superman goes toe-to-toe with Metallo (Paul Blackthorne). Carl Lumbly voices both Martian Manhunter and his nemesis Ma’alefa’ak. Wonder Woman (Susan Eisenberg) has to deal with Cheetah (Claudia Black). And lastly, Flash (Michael Rosenbaum) faces Mirror Master (Alexis Denisof).

The premise behind this stems from Batman’s paranoia. He has devised a plan to neutralize each member of the Justice League if they go rogue. These detailed plans are stolen by Savage, and tweaked to kill the target in lieu of neutralizing. With the Justice League out of the way, Savage can then take over the world. The only hope lies with Cyborg (Bumper Robinson), a non-member of the JL.

While I was severely underwhelmed with Superman vs The Elite a few weeks back, Justice League: Doom was a refreshing return to the great works that I have come to expect. I would rank this is second only to Batman: Under the Red Hood. The story was great, the voice work was wonderful, and Lauren Montgomery’s direction fit nicely with the animation. The characters were designed closer to the old Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS instead of the buffoonish looking characters in Superman vs The Elite. I would recommend giving Justice League: Doom a watch, even if you don’t have a twelve week old to watch it with. Not that I think The Kid watched too much of it.

RATING: 8/10

No comments: