15 November 2010

The Social Network


Adam "Likes This" Movie


I was late to the party on this movie. I have been attending so many screenings, that I haven’t paid to see a movie since Takers. But, the wife wanted to go, and we had some Groupons that had to be used. We both wanted to see The Social Network. So, it seemed like a perfect fit; as did the movie. David Fincher, one of the best directors working. Aaron Sorkin, one of the best writers. And a cast of young up and coming actors including Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake and Rooney Mara to help bring it all together. I thought it pertinent to mention Rooney Mara since she is in Fincher’s version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

The Social Network had high expectations for the studio. They thought it was going to make serious cash. I thought it would easily pass $100 million, but I did not think that it would break $200 million like some estimates. I just didn’t think that the people who used Facebook could get off of it long enough to go watch a movie about its creation. Yet, with a modest budget, it turned a profit easily; even if it isn’t as big as some had hoped.

The Social Network opens with a conversation between Mark Zuckerberg, brilliantly played by Eisenberg, having a heart to heart awkward conversation with his girlfriend Erica, played by Mara. Erica breaks up with Mark, and he goes back to his apartment/dorm on the Harvard campus and, in a drunken state, creates Facemash with the help of his later business partner, Eduardo Saverin , played by Garfield. It compares the women on the Harvard campus against each other based on hotness. After a run in with the campus board for invasion of privacy, he meets the Winklevoos twins who have an idea for a website called Harvard Connection. The idea is basically Facebook, but exclusive to Harvard.

We were then introduced to the fact that Zuckerberg was being sued by the Winklevoos’, or Winklevi as Zuckerberg refers to them, and his friend Garfield, simultaneously. In a series of flashbacks and depositions, the story of the creation and explosion of Facebook was told. It felt fresh. I am not usually a fan of the flashback, but what made this work was the fact that they did not feel like flashbacks. I give the credit there to Aaron Sorkin’s amazing screenplay and Fincher’s superb direction. The rest of the movie follows the creation and turmoil of Facebook. Justin Timberlake appears as Sean Parker, the creator of Napster. I had no idea that he had anything to do with Facebook.

Watching The Social Network reminded me of my college days. I remember when all this went down. Of course, at the time, we did not know about the controversy in its creation. I forgot that it was originally called, TheFacebook. I remember when Purdue was added, and it went through our campus like wildfire. I remember that my wife had to wait for her school, Butler University, to be added. Go Big Ten!

In the end, the movie was a very fast paced, well acted, two hours. I loved this movie. I would put it third best movie of the year. I would love to see Fincher get nominated for direction and Sorkin for writing. I would just like to see them both lose to Christopher Nolan. It would be great to see Jesse Eisenberg pick up a nomination for his acting. Without him, this movie could have failed. He really carried it well. Verdict: If it is still in theaters by you, see it. Stop playing Mafia Wars and Farmville. Stop “like this” clicking. Go out and see this movie.

1 comment:

TheWife said...

David Fincher is the best director currently directing movies. You forgot to put that in your review. :-)