12 November 2010

Skyline



Great Movie, or Greatest Movie Ever?

As sure as I sit here writing this, this was a direct quote from a guy in front of me as I walked out of the theater after viewing Skyline. I looked at my friend that had the displeasure of accompanying me to this atrocity. We both tried not to laugh.

Skyline was the worst movie I have ever seen in theaters. And that is saying a lot. I would rather sit and watch Sy-Fy Network movies than sit through this dribble again. There is nothing redeeming about this movie. The least glib thing would be the special effects achieved for such a low budget. The budget is estimated below $20 million. Some sources say even as low as $10 million. I can tell you right now, none of that budget was spent on actors, writers or directors. The only full length movie The Brothers Strause had directed before this was Alien vs. Predator: Requiem. On a plus, they directed a Nickelback music video.

Skyline had a feel like it was conceived over heavy pot smoking. It was all disjointed, and it kept ripping off of one movie, then another, then another, then yet another. The tone was another conundrum. The actors and directors took it very seriously. But the audience, well, we laughed at it. I almost cried I was laughing so hard at the crown laughing. The lines of dialog were bad, but delivered even worse. This made matter worse.

Skyline started off ripping off Independence Day, my personal favorite alien invasion movie. Then it moved to Cloverfield. After that, it was off to The Matrix. It ended with a Matrix-meets-Transformers finale.

I cannot devote more time to this waste of time. I had free tickets to the St. Louis screening last night at 11:00 pm. I should have just gone home and went to bed. Verdict: Terrible. According to IMDB, there are two sequels planned. Let’s do our part to stop that. Do not watch this movie. It has such a low budget, that it could easily make a strong profit. So, I did not pay to see this, neither should you.

No comments: