29 November 2010

Megamind


Mega-Better than Despicable Me


Not that it takes a lot to get me to go to the theater, but an animated superhero movie voiced by Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Jonah Hill, was an easy sell. As I was reading reviews and predictions for Megamind, I kept seeing the same comparison. Everyone was comparing it to Despicable Me, saying they have similar storylines of the bad guy turning into the good guy. I saw Despicable Me, and I thought it was decent, but nothing special. I, however, found Megamind much more entertaining and enjoyable. There were similarities, but there were more differences.

The story opens with the overdone ending first, middle of the action, how did-I-get-here beginning. I find this type of opening unoriginal, over used, and boring. Anyway, Megamind, voiced by Ferrell, himself narrates the opening. It is basically the story of Kal-El, or Superman for those “non-geeks” that might be reading this: planet is being destroyed; his parents put him in a shuttle and send him to Earth to save him. Along the way, another planet sends its last survivor to Earth. He becomes Metroman, voiced by Brad Pitt. Metroman lands in a rich family’s home, Megamind, a prison.

They have epic battles over the years. In a final battle, Megamind kidnaps TV reporter Roxanne Ritchi, voiced by Fey. Roxanne is seen as Metroman’s Lois Lane. Metroman comes to rescue her. With the help of Minion, voiced by David Cross, Megamind finally defeats Metroman.

Now, with no one to challenge him, Megamind does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. But this soon becomes tiresome for him. He and Roxanne both go to the memorial to Metroman to look for guidance. Before they run into eace other, Megamind assumes the identity of one of the workers at the memorial, Bernard.

After assuming Bernard’s appearance, Megamind starts a relationship with Roxanne, and they figure out that Megamind needs someone “good” to beat him or challenge him. So, Megamind finds a way to make a new superhero to battle his supervillian. Poor Hal, voiced by Jonah Hill, becomes Titan, or “Tighten” as he spells it. Megamind assumes another appearance, reminiscent of Brando’s Jor-El, to train Titan to be a superhero. As usual, Megamind’s plans do not quite go as planned.

This is as far as I am going to go with the plot. I loved the obvious twists. I loved the action. I loved the animation. If it weren’t for Toy Story 3, Megamind would be my pick as best animated movie for the year. But, Toy Story 3 owns that title, and I can’t see any animated movie topping that.

Verdict: If you haven’t seen it already, go. It is worth the time and money. I would recommend this to anyone who liked Despicable Me and The Incredibles. Oh, and listen for J.K. Simmons.

No comments: