15 March 2010

STOP @ GREEN ZONE



Because I loved The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, I was excited to see Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass join forces to bring us a war flick. I was severely let down. I guess after seeing two non-political war films in a row, I was expecting another. Not only was this political, it was so political that it distracting from the rest of the film. But looking back, I realize that the rest of the film wasn’t that great either.

Matt Damon plays Chief Officer Miller. He leads a team into WMD sites. We encounter him on his third straight attempt; and again, they come up empty. This prompts him to ask about the bad intelligence. This question makes Kinnear’s Clark Poundstone mad, and Brendon Gleeson’s Martin Brown happy. In a quick one scene cameo is The Unit’s Michael O’Neill.

The premise is then clear, we are at war with bad intel and there are no WMDs. This simple point is pounded down our throats for the remainder of this drab film.

So, this leads us on a search from a source code-named “Magellan.” From this point, we get rogue Miller hunting down the truth. What hinders this heroic soldier’s search for truth? Briggs, sent by Poundstone. Briggs is played by the always bad guy Jason Isaacs. He is a Special Forces soldier that is supposed to be “evil.” He is out to eliminate “Magellan” before he can be brought in to blow the top off the bad intelligence.

The other conflict, if you will, is between Poundstone and Brown. I found this almost more interesting than the truth about Magellan. Their dispute is over who should run the new regime in Iraq, and how it should be handled. Yet, again, it is very politically biased.

Finally, the climatic scene is a Greengrass fast paced, quick cut, scene on crack. I think the conversation before filming it went like this: Greengrass “Alright camera man, we are going to tape this camera to the heel of your shoe. Now, you are going to run through this dimly lit cluttered market. You get a five second head start, then we are sending Mr. Isaacs and Mr. Damon to chase you down. If they appear in your footage (no pun intended), then great. If they don’t, who cares? You can’t see anything anyway.” This was possibly the worst climax scene I have seen in a long time.

In the end, I was happy to see this movie end. I enjoyed Greengrass’s fast cuts and A.D.D. take on action in the Bourne series, but I feel that it has been played out. The script also had its terrible moments. “The reasons don’t matter.” “They matter to me.” Ouch. I was just waiting on Pounstone to yell, “You can’t handle the truth!” That is all that was missing to complete the travesty that was Green Zone. Verdict: Not worth the time or money, especially in theaters. But that is why I do this, to save you time and money.

No comments: