22 December 2009

Biggest Disappointments of 2009

As is the case every year, some movies surprise and some movies disappoint. I posted earlier my favorite movies of the year. So, I decided that I would dedicate some time to those few films that were not worth my time, or anyone's.

Public Enemies-Why? This movie was so disappointing that I don't even know where to begin. After a killer trailer, I was too stoked to see it. With Michael Mann directing, two of the hottest actors in Depp and Bale, this looked too good to be true. And it was. Both actors seemed unispired and it seemed as though they phoned in their lines. The direction was alright. Mann knows how to have a shoot-out. The music was atrocious. All in all, a very sad attempt at a very cool story.

Paranormal Activity-Why? I know I seem to be in the minority here. I was not impressed by this overly hyped re-imaging of the superior Blair Witch Project. It started out good, got moving great, but ended terribly. The actual last scene was made more preposterous when I found out that it was Steven Spielberg's idea. This has to be my wife's most disappointing film of the year. All she wanted was to be scared, and she wasn't.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen-Why? It was bigger, louder, and stupider than the original. The first one focused on making it seem "real." This one focused on making it loud and obnoxious. They sacrificed storyline for action. They sacrificed character development for action. They sacrificed action for more action. This was as big of a let down as Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. All action, so point.

Seven Pounds-Why? Will Smith is solid. He really does not make bad movies, especially lately. (Hancock is not as bad as some think, just too short.). This movie was just terrible. Onvce you understand what is going on, I could not wait for it to end. I know that this movie came out in 2008, but I saw it January 1. It was my first movie of the year. It put a bad taste in my mouth for the year. One that was luckily taken away by Taken a few weeks later.

No comments: