20 November 2008

Role Models

I Wish They were My Big's



Well, once again, I waited until the last possible day to use my free ticket from the AMC Movie Watcher card. So, I had to decide what to see on short notice. I went with the crude humor comedy Role Models. I thought I knew what to expect, and well, I was right. While the movie had little to offer in the way of originality, it was still quite hilarious.

Role Models opens with Danny Donahue, played by Paul Rudd, waiting on Wheeler, played by Stiffler, or Sean William Scott if you are not familiar with American Pie. Danny is a motivational speaker for Minotaur, an energy drink similar to Red Bull. Wheeler is his motivational mascot. We see them going from school to school. Finally, they return to the office, and there is a surprise party for Danny’s 10 years with the company. At this moment, he realizes that he is not happy with his boring mundane lifestyle. The next day, everything goes wrong for him, and he brings Wheeler down with him. They end up arrested, but luckily, Danny’s (ex) girlfriend Beth is a lawyer. Elizabeth banks puts in here typical role as Beth. Elizabeth Banks is quite possibly the busiest actress in Hollywood. She has been in 22 movies since being in Spider-Man, plus had a recurring role on TV’s Scrubs.

Anyway, Beth swings them 150 hours of community service instead of 30 days in jail. They are then sent to Sturdy Wings, a Big Brothers Big Sisters-esque program. The founder of the organization is Gayle Sweeny, played by always funny Jane Lynch. She gives them two kids that are not the typical kid because they do not want to go to jail.

Danny is partnered with Augie, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse better known as Superbad’s McLovin. He is a fantasy role player in a live action world called L.A.I.R.E. Wheeler is given Ronnie. He is a stereotypical gangster wannabe. From their meeting, it is obvious that some cliché situations will arise.

As the movie progresses, Danny and Wheeler find the errors of their ways and try to make things right. Along the way, they create a bond with the little kids that at first they cannot wait to get away from. It culminates in the final battle of the L.A.I.R.E. players. Augie is determined to kill King Argotron to be ruler of the game and impress fellow player Esplen. A joke comes full circle at the beginning of the Battle Royale.

So, ninety-five minutes later, Role Models is over. I enjoyed myself, and I kind of wish that it was a bit longer. I found many of the situations funny, but sadly, my wife did not. So, I was quickly reminded of the horrendous decision I made to see Hot Rod. Apparently, I have not served my two movie sentence, yet. Verdict: If you are a fan of crude humor, this is a movie for you. I loved it, but I am a fan of said humor. If you are easily offended, then this is not for you.

No comments: