07 January 2008

Cloverfield

Monster Mystery Satisfies






There is not much to say here. It is Godzilla meets The Blair Witch Project with a budget closer to the latter. It is a handheld camera filmed movie that has given people motion sickness all over the nation with its 85 minutes of cinema genius. The whole movie follows a group of six friends who survived the initial attack and are trying to get out of New York before the monster comes back. As with the producer’s hit show LOST, Cloverfield is apparently littered with clues throughout explaining the origin of the monster, and many other things. As a casual viewer, I did not catch any of these, but still thoroughly enjoyed this film. I had to see it opening weekend because I was afraid that someone would ruin it for me. I am here to say that there is no big huge secret that will ruin it for you.

The cast is made up of a bunch of nobodies. The only person I recognized was Lizzy Caplan from Mean Girls. It was directed by first time director Matt Reeves. The whole film is shot through the eyes of these survivors so we only learn and know what they do. All the action that is going on is in the background of the movie. It reminded me of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in which the episode follows Xander instead of Buffy and her fight against evil. Since we follow this group, we are left with many burning questions. What caused this monster? Where did it come from? Why did it attack? What does it look like in its entirety?

As I said before, I do not have much to say. The concept was brilliant. Cloverfield was fantastic. Be warned, it will cause motion sickness. Verdict: If you are not afflicted with motion sickness and you like monster films, this is a must see. If you get motion sickness, then rent it and watch it on a small TV or something that will work for you. It is loaded with fun and creativity. I will be purchasing this one for sure.

No comments: