09 July 2007

Transformers

Transforms My Opinion of Michael Bay

When Michael Bay was announced as the director of the big screen adaptation of the toy line Transformers, my first reaction was, well, the action will be good. I was not wrong. Where I was wrong, however, was on the story. It was very impressive. I was worried that the story would be soft, weak, sub-par and insulting to my intelligence and my love for the toys when I was a child, or now, I mean……

The movie opens with Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime, the leader of the Auto-Bots, telling the story of the Transformers home planet. Telling of how they were greedy and destroyed their own home planet. They then lost the source of power to create a new world, a cube. Megatron, leader of Decepticons, followed the cube to a new planet, but was not heard from again. Any guesses to what planet that was? That’s right, Earth.

Well, Shia LaBeouf plays Sam Witwicky, the main human star of this epic action film. He ends up being the grandson of the one person who has seen Megatron. It just so happens that his antique glasses are the key for finding the cube and stopping the destruction that is sure to come. Now, poor Sam is selling his grandfather’s antiques to make money to purchase his first car. When he finally has enough, he and his father go purchase a car that mysteriously chooses him. It is an old Camero, that turns out to be Auto-Bot Bumblebee. Some humor for those of us old enough to know the original cartoon, Bumblebee was a yellow VW Bug and in the scene, the car salesman, Bernie Mac, tries to sell the Witwicky’s a yellow VW Bug next to the Camero. So, Sam leaves with his Camero.

On the side of the globe, US forces are attacked by a couple of Decepticons. The Decipticons also hack into the government mainframe in search of Project: Iceman. This leads the US Government to believe that some flagged hackers can help solve who is behind this.

Back in the US, Sam tries to pick up Mikaela Banes, played by Megan Fox, by impressing her with his car. It sort of works out for him. That night, Sam discovers the secret of his car, and this happens to also be the first time we see a Transformer battle. Bumblebee then transforms into the new Camero after being made fun of for his beat-up appearance. From this point on, there is more action than you can shake a stick at. The visuals are beyond words and mind-blowing. In the end, it all goes down in the dessert outside of Hoover Dam.

The cameos and small roles list is long. They include Jon Voight, Anthony Anderson, John Turturro, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, and more. They even have a few recognizable names voicing the robots. I am not a big fan of Michael Bay films. Though, my favorite movie, The Rock, was directed by him. I hope that does not hurt my credibility too much. I was very impressed with the overall movie. So much in fact, that I am hoping that they make a sequel. See this in theaters if you want to see this movie. The rumors are that it will be re-released in IMAX. I’ll be there.

No comments: