28 March 2007

Stomp the Yard

Stomp the plot into the ground

There is not much to be said about this film. I saw it because I am a sucker for good choreography. I like martial arts movies for the same reason. This movie had nothing new to offer. It did have great step sequences. The plot is very bland and over done. While watching it, I felt like I had seen it somewhere before. Then I realized that I had. This is the same script they used for Drumline. Then I got to thinking, isn’t this also the same script from the classic piece-of-crap-film You Got Served? I think so. I was entertained by the dancing, but the plot left something to be desired.

We open with a dance-off, like Served. We then move on to a shooting and a moving, then we are in a school setting, like Drumline. Boy meets girl. Girl has boyfriend. Boyfriend is in rival fraternity. Boy doesn’t care, he will get girl, like Drumline. Boy is best dancer but gets kicked out and not allowed to compete, like Drumline. Then, and this was a real shocker, they tie in regulation with competition. I haven’t seen this storyline since Drumline and You Got Served. Luckily, Boy is back and allowed to compete and lead the team to glory. Oh, and Boy gets girl.

Verdict: Don’t waste your money in the theaters; it should be on DVD in about 2 months or less.

No comments: