25 July 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

Devil Wears Thin in the End

I wanted to see this movie for a few reasons. The number one reason, Anne Hathaway is hot. That reason alone got me through this movie. With that said, on with my review.

The Devil Wears Prada centers on a homely girl named Andy, and her journey in New York trying to make it in the journalism world. She goes to work for Runway magazine, which is not a real magazine, my wife tells me. Here, she works for Meryl Streep. This was a great casting and acting job. Streep portrays Miranda Priestly, a boss that we all fear we might have to, or might have to again, work for. She walks around with her nose up in the air. She tends to ask for outrageous things, and expects them to be done. Some charades include getting the 7th book in the Harry Potter series and getting her steak lunch before the restaurant opens. You see Andy grow into the assistant that Ms. Priestly needs. These changes in Andy cause her friends and boyfriend to always remain second in her life. The movie focuses on the relationship Andy has with her boss and co-workers and with her old friends. It also begs the questions, “What are you willing to do, how far are you willing to go, what are you willing to sacrifice, to get what you want?”

In the beginning, the jokes and situations were funny, the script was witty, and I enjoyed myself. In the last half hour, I am not sure what happened to this movie. It became a movie about friendship, losing who you are, and finding yourself. It became so sentimental that I almost gagged. Anne Hathaway was great, Stanley Tucci was great, Meryl Streep was great, and the ending was just not what I wanted to see. My wife, being the Devil’s Advocate, told me, “That’s the way the book ended. It was based on the girl’s real life and that's what happened.” I don’t care. I didn’t like the ending. It was based on a book by the same title about the author’s true-life experience working for Vogue magazine. I liked the movie enough not to cry over the loss of $10, but I think it could have been better.

Verdict: Save the $10 and rent this in 5 weeks. I feel bad leaving a review this short, but there is not a whole lot to say.

No comments: